logo

Filozofski fakultet

Sveučilišta u Zagrebu



History

The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences is the oldest and largest Croatian research and higher education institution in humanities and social sciences, as well as a significant cultural institution with a great impact on Croatian culture and society. The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences is part of the University of Zagreb, the oldest university in Croatia and one of the oldest universities in Europe. The history of the University of Zagreb begins on September 23, 1669 with the recognition of university status and privileges to the Jesuit Academy in the free royal town of Zagreb with a chart issued by the Austro-Hungarian Emperor and Hungarian-Croatian king Leopold I.
Since 1692 Philosophical study in Zagreb started with its formal and legal activities as Neoacademia Zagrebiensis, a public institution of higher education. The Academy was run by the Jesuits until 1773 when the Jesuit order was dissolved by Pope Clement XIV. In 1776 Empress and Queen Maria Theresa issued a decree founding the Royal Academy of Science (Regia Scientiarum Academia) consisting of three studies or faculties – Philosophy, Theology and Law. The Academy in Zagreb remained until 1874, despite numerous organizational changes, the focal institution of higher education in Croatia and Slavonia, educating most of the members of the Croatian intellectuals.
During his visit to Zagreb in 1869 the Emperor Franz Joseph signed the chart that had the emperor’s sanction since January 5, 1874. On October 19, 1874 the modern University of Zagreb was officially established. There were four faculties: Law, Theology, Philosophy and Medicine. The Faculty of Philosophy began with its work in 1874/1875 academic year. The Faculty of Philosophy had devoted special attention into developing the fundamental disciplines of the Natural Sciences and Mathematics Department that eventually evolved into a foundation for several new faculties of the University of Zagreb. There were six Chairs (Philosophy, History, Croatian History, Slavic Philology, Classical Philology (Latin) and Classical Philology (Greek)) and 26 students. Original Chairs started to develop into new Chairs (e.g. in 1875 Croatian Language and Literature Chair was founded, previously a part of Slavic Philology Chair, in 1877 Art History and Art Archeology Chair) and gradually teaching and research of foreign languages was introduced (German, Russian, Hungarian, Italian, etc.), in 1880 first PhD thesis was defended. In 1893 Pedagogy Chair was founded, in 1896 Classical Archaeology Chair, in 1924 Ethnology Chair, in 1929 Psychology Chair, etc. A major reorganization of the Faculty took place in 1948 – 12 study programs were founded, each a single major, and in 1952 double major system was introduced and since then the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences has taken great care to nourish the double major studies while respecting the right of certain study programs to remain a single major.
In the second half of the 20th century research facilities were founded: Research Facility of Linguistics, Research Facility of Literary Criticism, Research Facility of Art History and others. Departments were Self-evaluation report – Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb 4 gradually formed as well as chairs which represent fundamental scientific and teaching units of the Faculty.
In 1990s, after Croatia gained independence, new programs were introduced: Hungarian Language and Literature, Turkish Language and Literature, Slovak Language and Literature, Ukrainian Language and Literature, Romanian Language and Literature, etc.
The development process of study programs further extended into the 2000s by establishing Dutch Language and Literature, Scandinavian Languages and Literatures, Portuguese Language and Literature and independent Program of Japanese Studies and Chinese Studies.