Dr. sc. Zrinka Šimić Kanaet
Department of Archaeology
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
University of Zagreb
Ivana Lučića 3, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
I was born on May 21st 1956 in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina and I have completed my elementary and secondary education in Zagreb, Croatia and subsequently graduated from University of Zagreb’s Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in 1980, earning a Bachelor’s Degree in Archaeology and Italian language.
In the period between 1984 and 2005 I worked as the Chief Librarian at the Department of Archaeology, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Zagreb. I earned my Master’s Degree in 1990, at the University of Zagreb, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, after completing the thesis titled Comparative Analisys of Protohistoric and Early Roman Pottery Production Technologies on the Territory of Northern Croatia.
From 1996 to 2000 I was the Professional Research Associate on the Illyrans Amid the Greeks and Romans project, led by Prof. Dr. Marin Zaninović. Since 2000 I`ve been a Professional Research Associate on the project Roman Military Camps in Croatia, a research project conducted by Prof. Dr. Mirjana Sanader.
As of January 25th 2005 I`m employed at the Department of Archaeology of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb, as a Teaching Assistant for Humanities in the field of Archaeology; lecturing Analysis and Elaboration of Classical Period Ceramics, a standard course at the Department of Classical Archaeology.
In 2009 I`ve earned a PhD. in Classical Archaeology after having completed my doctoral thesis Classification, Chronology and Origin of Tilurium Roman Pottery in the Roman Province of Dalmatia (Scientific Field: Humanities, Sub-field: Archaeology, Subdivision: Classical Archaeology).
I participated in the conduct of numerous archaeological excavations, including those in Sisak (Siscia), Vinkovci (Cibalae), Osijek (Mursa), Vučedol, Kaniška Iva, Krk, Bribir and Gardun (Tilurium). I am a member of Croatian Archaeological Society and International Lychnological Association, ILA.
- „Keramika = “Keramik“, in: M. Sanader, Tilurium I. Istraživanja – Forschungen 1997-2001, Zagreb 2003, 109 – 189. (ISBN: 953-212-132-3)
- „Das Projekt Tilurium. Ein kurzer Einblick in die Keramikfunde“ = „Project TILURIUM. Cross-section of Roman pottery from Tilurium”, Rei Cretariae Romanae Favtorum Acta 39 (2005), 295-300. (with M. Sanader and D. Tončinić) (ISSN: 0484-3401)
- “Jama sj 55 iz Tilurija” = “Pit no. 55 from Tilurium”, Vjesnik za arheologiju i povijest dalmatinsku 98 (2005), 107-120. (with D. Tončinić and S. Radović) (ISSN: 1845-7789)
- “Pietra ollare artefacts from Červar Porat (Istria, Croatia)”, The 15th Slovenian-Croatian Crystallographic Meeting. Book of Abstracts, Ljubljana 2006, 25. (with D. Tibljaš, D. Balen)
- ”Lončarski pečati na rimskoj keramici iz Burnuma i Tilurija” = “Pottery Stamps on Roman Ceramics from Burnum and Tilurij” , Rijeka Krka i Nacionalni park Krka: prirodna i kulturna baština i održivi razvitak, 2007, 229-244. (with J. Zaninović) (ISBN: 978-953-7-406-01-6)
- “Kamene posude iz Červara” = „Stone vessels from Červar”, Histra Antiqua 15 (2007), 509-517 (with V. Girardi-Jurkić, D. Tibljaš) (ISSN: 1331-4270)
- Tilurium II. Keramika 1997-2006, sv. 1 Analiza i katalog, sv. 2 Table, Zagreb 2010. (ISBN: 978-953-212-405-7)
- “Rimske svjetiljke iz Tilurija” = „Roman oil-lamps from Tilurium”, in: A. Librenjak (ed.), Arheološka istraživanja u Cetinskoj krajini, Zagreb 2011, 187-218. (ISBN: 978-953-6335-04-6)
- „Project Tilurium – Roman Pottery from Tilurium”, in: Rimska vojna oprema u pogrebnom kontekstu. Radovi XVII. ROMEC-a = Weapons and military equipment in a funerary context. Proceedings of the XVIIth Roman Military Equipment Conference, Zagreb 2013, 471-483